Thursday, February 23, 2006

Experiments in Audio - Part 1: Speak 'n Math, Korg X911 and Boss SP303

So I sat down late on Tuesday night and hooked up my circuit bent Speak 'n Math (by fastmatt) to my Korg x911, to my Boss SP303 sampler, just to see what happened.


Circuit Bent Speak 'n Math

korg-x911.jpg
Korg x911 Guitar Synth

sp303.jpg
Boss SP303 Sampler


The Korg x911 is a stripped down Korg MS20 with a bunch of presets (all analog oscillators) and an analog low-pass filter (the same filter as in the MS20). It is driven by a built in pitch to cv convertor. Basically when the Speak 'n Math output is hooked into the X911 it acts like an unpredictable, but manipulatable sample and hold wave.

I found a few interesting glitch loops from the Speak 'n Math and ran them through the X911 (sometimes sweeping the filter), picking slightly different settings on the X911 each time. After sampling 10 loops (all different lengths, but in multiples of 124 bpm) and one long "solo" (about 2 minutes in length) I sorted through the loops and picked the most interesting ones. I made a five-minute recording that slowly adds one of the loops at a time, and eventually layers in the longer solo part (but run backwards).

Here is the sound file that resulted.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Gnostic Rocket

1 Comments:

At 8:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Speak & Math sounds incredible! The subtle patterns are mesmerising - reminds me of Tangerine Dream's classic early music. Keep up the great work and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. Thanks - fastmatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home